DAY 37 - Tuesday, 1st August, 2017
Well...the coming week does not look attractive for cruising purposes. The problem with this kind of scenario is that if you don't take the opportunity that is presented, even if it is not ideal, you may get stuck for a lengthy period. We have been in Lawrence Cove for the past week. It looks like if we don't go today then we could be weather bound in Lawrence Cove for four or five days! And of course there is no guarantee that the forecast will hold (or even get better!) in the next five days. It could get worse!
So, are there any positives re the forecast for today? Yes... winds are perhaps a little higher than we have been experiencing in all of our previous passages on this trip so far, BUT the early part of the day is not bad. And, the wind and wave directions are not conflicting. If we can match the tides then it should be okay. In this instance a rising tide on Bantry Bay should have wind and wave in the same direction. Unfortunately we will have an ebb tide as we cruise up Dingle Bay towards Dingle. Passage length is approx. 51NM which will takes us circa 7-8hrs to complete. High water at Dingle is scheduled for approx. 12:00. High water at Bantry Bay (Black Ball Harbour) should also occur at approx. 12:00. Our passage plan will take us through Dursey Sound rather than going round Dursey Head. So, if we depart circa 06.15 we get the first two hours of the rising tide on Bantry Bay, with wind and wave in sync with the tide. Unfortunately we may have conflicting tide and wind as we cruise up Dingle Bay. Okay, so we can't have everything on this passage! But it looks like it should be just fine!