Day 31 - Tuesday, 29th July, 2014
Decision time.... We are in Schull which is 4 x long passages from returning to the Inland waters, i.e. 1 day passage from Schull to Lawrence Cove; 1 day passage from Lawrence Cove to Dingle; 1 day passage from Dingle to Kilrush; and 1 day passage from Kilrush to Limerick/Killaloe. Each of these days needs to be good by our standards of acceptability for coastal cruising. It could be easy to get caught at any of these locations. And we HAVE to be back in Portumna before the end of August. The Windfinder report above shows forecasts for the next 6 days. Your objective is to get to Lawrence Cove. Which day do you choose and why?
In retrospect, I think that I made the wrong choice. And we certainly paid for it!
And by the way...we have an understanding on "Arthur". If either of the crew voice unhappiness with the conditions on the water we turn back and re-group. No argument.
I made a decision to try for Lawrence Cove on Tuesday, 29th July. Some plusses: low wave height (below one metre); wind direction N/W ( we would be heading into the waves).
On the minus side: wind and gusts higher than we would like.
Yes, Sunday, 3rd August looks very attractive AT THIS POINT IN TIME. The question is whether or not it will hold. And this year, more than any previous year, I have noticed that weather has NOT been holding, even over short 24-48 hour periods.
We planned to leave circa noon.
From 2014-07-25 Arthur's Coastal Cruise 2014 - Part 3